To promote recreational shotgun target sports for adults and youth shooters through safety, education, and training for the service members, retirees, civilians, and community members that make Fort Novosel and the surrounding communities their home.
In the early 1960’s, amidst the high volume of Aviation training taking place at Ft. Rucker required to support the Vietnam War effort, the Ft Rucker Skeet and Trap club was formed as a Morale Welfare and Recreation (MWR) function for the Soldiers and civilians working at Ft. Rucker. The Skeet and Trap range consisted of a single field that supported both disciplines. The range was located in the general vicinity of the current range on main post. A round of skeet or trap cost $ 0.50 if you brought your own ammunition and $1.90 a round if you used the club’s ammunition.
In the late 1970’s the club was moved to the south side of Lake Tholocco recreational area next to the dam where it operated for approximately 20 years with two fields. A round of skeet cost $1.50 with the shooters providing their own ammunition.
On September 27th , 1991, members of A Company, 46 th Engineering Battalion broke ground on a new skeet and trap facility located on main post where it remains to this day. This unit’s primary function was to build airfields supporting Army Aviation operations and missions around the world. It took the engineers six months to construct six skeet field, two trap fields, lighting, a parking area, and clubhouse. A round of skeet and trap cost $2.00 and shooters provided their own ammunition.
In 2016, the club embarked on an ambitious program to update and replace the aging skeet and trap machines. As part of facilities upgrades, all the roofs on the skeet, trap houses, and club house were replaced with donated metal and labor. In 2022, the RV Parking area received a much need electrical upgrade. ALL maintenance and upgrades were funded by the generous members and patrons of the club.
Army Aviation Shotgun Club (ASSC) Notable Accomplishments and Continuing Focus;
- Provides individual and group skeet instruction utilizing National Skeet Shooting Association Certified Skeet Instructors for beginners thru advanced shooters
- Shooting over 300,000 targets a year
- Established the first NSSA youth skeet camp in the Nation in 2004
- National Skeet Shooting Association (NSSA) Club of the year 1988
- Home to the NSSA Master Skeet Instructor, LTC (R) Ralph Aaron
- Member Club in good standing of the National Skeet Shooting Association since 1984
- Member Club in good standing of the Alabama Skeet Shooting Association since 1984
- Frequent host for the Alabama State Skeet Championship
- Host 12+ NSSA sanctioned National, Regional and Local events each year
- Hosting several Youth and Collegiate Skeet camps throughout the shooting year
- A host club for the US Open Skeet Championships
- A host club for the Zone 4 Southeast US Regional Skeet Championship
- Home to members with National and State Honors with in the NSSA
- Practice facility for several Collegiate Skeet Teams
- Home to Wicksburg and Enterprise high school shotgun teams
On April 10th 2023, the Ft. Rucker Skeet and Trap Club officially changed its name to the Army Aviation Shotgun Club in accordance with the Department of Defense’s installation renaming directive. To date, this club is one of the premier shooting complexs in the state of Alabama that operates completely self-sufficient from Government or DOD funding. All operating cost needed to maintain the upkeep of the range are generated by members, guest, and tournament shooters that call the Army Aviation Shotgun Club home.